It's easy to maintain your enthusiasm when everything's happy-go-lucky. But when challenges set in, keeping your enthusiasm can be difficult, to say the least. It's best to prepare yourself for the potholes you’re going to encounter on the road of life. You’re bound to hit them from time to time, and they can make your journey bumpy!
The best thing you can do is develop specific skills to boost and maintain your enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is such an important value to adopt because it's your driving force behind your will to succeed.
Practice these tips to help you sustain your enthusiasm:
1. Picture the resolution. Visualizations are a powerful tool for developing a positive mindset. What’s more, they’re scientifically proven to work. Although you don’t always know what life is going to throw at you, if you’ve done your work, you have some insights as to what might trip you up. Visualizing yourself overcoming those challenges can provide you with a roadmap to success should they show up.
If something comes along that wasn’t anticipated, you can still practice visualizing your way to success. Either way, it’s a win-win. The most important part is to keep yourself detached from the negative energy that could get you down and discouraged. Steer clear of negative thought patterns...keep focused and keep visualizing positive outcomes.
When you keep your mind on success, or at least getting through the current struggle, you can then formulate a clear plan to get you back on the road to achievement.
2.Minimize stress. Make an active effort to reduce your stress. The more self-awareness you develop, the more you’ll know your stress triggers...and the easier it will become to steer clear. Although some stress can motivate you, overall stress can wear you down, give rise to negative coping habits, and burn you out if you don’t take care of it. If you're too focused on your struggles, you'll have more trouble getting out of them and staying positive, which could put a damper on your enthusiasm.
Remember, a stress-free and clear mind lends itself to the enthusiastic person that you know you can be.
3. Stay focused. Work on maintaining your focus. You'll find that it's easier to sustain enthusiasm when you always know the direction in which you're headed. Focus keeps you clear-headed while you overcome your struggle, and focus can get you to success.
4. Keep things fresh. If you allow your life to fall into a stagnant pattern, that can become a struggle in itself. Living on autopilot is a sure way to drive your enthusiasm off a cliff. Practice mindfulness and stay present with your actions. Vary how you do things and take time to brainstorm new ideas. You can keep enthusiasm going with fresh thinking. And staying mindful opens you to happiness, which can only be experienced in the moment.
5. Avoid procrastination. It's important to keep yourself moving. If you’re a procrastinator, make an active effort to get rid of it by taking action. One way you can overcome procrastination is by connecting your actions with your core values. Honoring core values helps you flourish, and when you’re choices reinforce positive emotions, your actions become intentional. By taking action, you can keep your enthusiasm.
6. Keep an open mind. Strive to keep your mind open to new ideas and new ways of doing things. Creative thinking is often backed by enthusiasm. Many great and successful people are creative thinkers with some amazingly enthusiastic attitudes.
One of my favorite experiences is working with clients on moving past their “either/or” thinking. Our brains want things simple, so it’s easy to narrow ourselves down to either this or that answer, action, choice...When you catch yourself in an either/or scenario, ask yourself, “What else might be possible?” This opens you to the vast, limitless field of possibilities hiding in your subconscious. This is what I call “Both/And” thinking...it could be one of the other two possibilities, and many more you hadn’t considered.
7.Don't sweat the little things. When you're dealing with small setbacks and little things that get in your way, remember that these things will not matter in the long run and the grand scheme of things. Simply redirect your focus back to your plan and you'll find that you easily overcome these small annoyances.
Remember, some of the most gratifying feelings of success come from conquering great struggles. When you overcome your obstacles on your way to the finish line, you'll feel a tenfold increase in pride and satisfaction when you achieve your success. After all, your success will be oh-so-much sweeter!
So when times are tough, use these tips to help you maintain your enthusiasm. You CAN stay strong and focused on your way to greatness!